Norwegian research Part 7 - Reider Toralf Bakke

Part 7 - Norwegian research
Time to work out what these entries in familysearch mean when they say 'Oslo, Oslo' for a parish name. Signe Marie Bakke was baptised and buried in 'Oslo, Oslo' and the source citation for the baptism tells me the film number is 1282504. I can check the LDS catalogue for Oslo, Norway and enter the film number and see what parishes come up. Only two, and only one of those has baptisms in 1889, the year I am looking for, and it is Kampen. Now I can look for Reidar's baptism, which I still haven't found on familysearch.

Back to the Digital Archives of Norway, positive I will now find Reidar's baptism in the Kampen parish register. As I know he was born abt 1893, I'll start in 1892 and work through to 1894. Kampen is a big city parish, hence I am reluctant to trawl through pages of baptisms without good reason, and in the back of my mind I am wondering why he is not on familysearch if other older siblings baptised in Kampen are. The most likely explanation is he and his younger siblings are in a different parish register which has not been indexed by familysearch.

On the Digital Archives homepage (English version) (see link part 3), there is a shortcut to 'Digitised Parish Registers'. Clicking this link will bring up a page in Norwegian, but it is pretty simple: On 'Velg fylke:' - I select 'Oslo' - this will then bring up all the parish registers for all the parishes in Oslo/Christiania. Then I can scroll down to Kampen parish and click on each 'Ministerialbok' for the years I want (1892-1894) until one comes up containing baptisms. In this case it is 1890-1902 (which confirms this is a new register from the one his older siblings are in). Now I have the scanned version of the Kampen parish register for 1890-1902, which contains baptisms, stillborns and a few other odds and sods. I can click on the year 1892 and it will take me to the page for the beginning of that year.
Once on the page I can adjust the size I want, and to move to the next page (or the next 5 or 20) by clicking the arrows at the top or bottom. Each page is given an image number and 1892 begins on image 42. I find Reidar on image 60, still in 1892 - so glad he was not born in 1894! Click here and you can see the page - entry no. 155.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060921060111.jpg&siz=full
The entry reads:
Kampen, Oslo, Norway, 1890-1902 parish register, image 60 on digitalarkivet
No. 155, born 21 Mar 1892, baptised 7 Aug 1892, Reidar Thoralf, parents: Snedker (joiner/cabinetmaker) Adolf Bakke and wife Charlotte Bakke, of Hølands gade 17, father born 1859, mother born 1864, witnesses: Madame Tellefsen, Josefine Hansen, Ole Bakke, Ludvig Erichsen, Oskar Bakke. Legitimate birth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to plan ahead - where will you take your family history research this year?

2023 and it is time for new discoveries

Norwegian Research Part 14 - Reider Toralf Bakke